Wednesday, February 3, 2016

A quick bathroom redo!

As usual I am behind on blogging! December flew by, and January led to some unexpected life events which derailed our house projects for a few weeks. Now life is back to "normal" which means we started demo on Monday evening. :)

Before Christmas I decided I wanted to give our upstairs bathroom a face lift. I loved the tile on the floor, the fact that there are double sinks, but little else about the bathroom. First step was hiring a company to re-glaze our bathtub. It was a hideous beige color and we could tell that had been "re-glazed", but obviously a DIY project gone wrong. We used the same company we used when we did this in Mound and they did a fantastic job. Once the beige was stripped off, Ben informed me that the tub was "baby poop green"...haha. The only downside was that is was an extra $200 to remove the lovely DIY job the previous owners had done. Totally worth it for a sparkling white bathtub!

I also sanded all of the cabinets, put three coats of espresso paint on them, and 3 coats of clear coat on them. In addition I ordered new hardware for the cabinets and got the hardware for a steal from Amazon (1/2 the price of Lowes). Putting the new hardware on went smooth until the last cabinet. With the new hinges one of the doors was now too wide, I ended up sanding down the inside edge of the door 5 times before it finally closed. I still need to repaint that edge of the cabinet....that hopefully will get done within the next year. :)

Ben and I had a romantic few days of painting the ceiling, and painting 2 coats of blue paint on the walls. Not exactly the shade I had in mind (I was picturing something a little more chalky teal) but once there was one coat on, Ben told me we weren't changing the color. I think the color looks fine now that we are done.

Ben replaced one of the lights, the outlets and light switches and we were done. I would love to get a new counter in the bathroom but at this point it is good enough.

Here are some pictures of the transformation!

The before pictures:


The cabinets before

Notice those classy hinges!

The tub before...yuck!

The original color around the edge
 The After...
All done!

New hardware!


Bright white tub!

New outlets/switches!

This was a nice 1 week project that wasn't too labor intensive. This week as I mentioned earlier we began demo on the kitchen. The kitchen project is bound to be full of interesting experiences and is by far our most complicated project to date. Updates on that coming soon.

Cheers,

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment