Friday, June 19, 2015

A New Series....CSA Cooking

I am going to start a new blogging series, hopefully this will be more than 1 post. :) Ben and I have had a busy few months but we finally wrapped up the wedding activities last weekend. The weddings were awesome but we are ready to get back to boring normal life.

We decided to sign up for a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm share. We get a box of produce every week from now through mid October. We decided it would be a good way to try new vegetables, eat a little healthier and try new recipes. I love to cook, and it gives me an excuse to use all my new kitchen gadgets. :)

Yesterday we got our first box of veggies, and it contained a whole bunch of items I have never eaten. Here is the list for this week:

1. Kohlrabi
2. Beets
3. Hakurei Turnips
4. D’Avignon Radishes
5. Cilantro
6. Green Butterhead Lettuce
7. Lacinato Kale
8. Swiss Chard

I have never tried Kohlrabi, Beets, Turnips or Swiss Chard.

Tonight for dinner Ben and I decided to try Roasted Kohlrabi and Sauteed Swiss Chard. Ben and I were both more nervous about the Kohlrabi. It turned out that even though Ben pretended to gag while chopping it, we both really liked it. I think it helped that it had cheese all over it. :) I think it tastes like zucchini and has the texture of a potato. The Swiss chard was a little hard for me to choke down, it was kind of slimy. I think I might like it better in a different recipe.

Chopped Swiss Chard

Kholrabi Roasting

Swiss Chard all finished

Roasted Kholrabi

Dinner is served!


Here are our ratings (Scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "never again" and 10 being "please make every night")
Roasted Kohlrabi:   Ben-6, Ali-7
Sauteed Swiss Chard: Ben-6, Ali-2

My goal is to blog about our adventures trying new veggies or at least new recipes at least once a week.

Cheers,

Ali

1 comment:

  1. I like the new focus! CSAs are super fun and a great way to try new veggies. You will probably get a lot of chard so its good to find a recipe you like. The recipe here is a favorite (you can't beat creamy, cheesy anything). http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/swiss-chard-gratin

    ReplyDelete