Friday, June 26, 2015

Pressure...

The pressure of getting a new box of veggies every week and trying to use them in a week is huge. I have to say our first week went pretty good, and we have used everything except for the beets. Great news....except we got a whole new box yesterday.

To use our veggies this week we tried a few new recipes, and I ate a couple salads. I have to say Ben has been liking most of the veggies more than I thought he would.

Ben and I had lettuce wraps at a restaurant a few months ago and ever since then he has been wanting me to make them at home. Since we had a head of butter lettuce in the fridge we decided now was the time. I used the PF Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wrap recipe from the site Damn Delicious, and as usual the recipes from this site never disappoint. Ben claims to hate water chestnuts, I love them, so I put them in the dish. I also ended up using ground turkey breast in this recipe since that is what I had in the freezer. Ben and I both really enjoyed  this dish. I also made Sauteed Radishes, which we both enjoyed.

Ratings: Lettuce Wraps- Ali: 8 Ben:8   Sauteed Radishes- Ali: 7 Ben: 7




I was dreading using the kale because the last time I ate Kale, I hated it. I made Kale chips and ended up throwing most of them away. The pasta dish I made this time made me not hate Kale. To be honest you really can't taste the kale in this dish. I thought this recipe was okay, I like the pasta but I think it was missing something. I would consider adding fresh tomatoes in addition to the sun dried tomatoes and some more heat to this dish. This dish was a little risky to make for Ben because he hates beans, usually I just skip beans in recipes but I decided to take a risk. Besides pouting about the beans, Ben did eat the dish and I think he liked it. I didn't take a picture of this one.
Ratings: Ali-6 Ben- 7

Finally, tonight on my exciting Friday night in (that might sound sarcastic but I was thrilled to be at home tonight after a busy week) I decided to listen to the thunderstorm roll in, drink a spotted cow, whip up a salad, and some Sweet Potato Turnip Swirl. This recipe was good, I enjoyed the citrus flavor the orange zest added. I did not add the sugar it calls for, and I did not miss it at all in the dish. Ben is out at happy hour tonight, so he has not tried these yet, but I am sure they will be a snack when he gets home.
Ratings: Ali- 7 Ben-TBD



Here is a preview of what we got yesterday in the new box of veggies:
1. Kohlrabi
2. Freckles Romaine Lettuce
3. Garlic Scapes
4. Scallions
5. Cucumbers
6. Collard Greens
7. Broccoli
8. Cilantro
9. Rainbow Lacinato Kale

I have to figure how to eat all of this, plus beets before we leave to go out of town on Thursday (and pick up another new box). I am enjoying the challenge so far and we have had some fun new meals. If you have any meal ideas for the items above, I am open to suggestions. :)

Cheers,
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment