Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cute Coasters

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas! I have been slacking a bit in the crafting this week and have been catching up on reading instead. But have no fear crafting has started again! 


The inspiration came from multiple posts on Pinterest but I have linked you to the tutorial that we followed. Next time I want to try making the cut out version. 


There is no better way to start out a craft evening then with a glass of wine. Anna generously invited Caitlin and I over to her house to craft. We decided to make coasters as they seemed like they would be easy and inexpensive. We purchased your basic bathroom tiles at the Home Depot for a steal $0.16 a tile! Anna donated leftover scrapbook paper and Modge Podge for this craft. 





I haven't worked with Modge Podge since I tried to make 'beads' out of wrapping paper (it was an early craft attempt, the idea was taken from the American Girl magazine) in about 1995. All I remember from that craft was that the paper and Modge Podge turned into an icky sticky mess until my mom rescued me. This craft luckily wasn't too disastrous. 


First we selected paper and Anna quickly used her paper cutter to cut out squares in the exact size we needed them. One disaster avoided, I would have spent about 10 minutes fighting with the paper cutter and ended up with paper that would be too large or small. :)




Next we covered the back of the paper in a thin layer of Modge Podge and placed the paper carefully on the tile. This is a little tricky because you want to avoid getting air bubbles in the paper. Then cover the top of the paper with another THIN layer of Modge Podge and let it dry. Repeat the layers of Modge Podge two additional times. 









They key is to use THIN layers of Modge Podge and avoid air bubbles. Caitlin ended up with a large air bubble in one of her coasters at the end. We left the coasters at Anna's to dry overnight before spraying them with acrylic to put a final coat of protection on them. After that we need to add felt to the back of the tiles and Voila, cute coasters. The great thing about this craft is that it was super inexpensive, fun and easy to make. This is one craft I will definitely do again in the future. I will post an updated photo once they have been covered in acrylic and backed with felt. 
Air Bubbles- sorry Caitlin...we will get them out next time. 

Almost finished! 


Things at our house have been a little crazy so my mom and I are pushing back our sock monkey craft until next week. This afternoon I am going to attempt to make a ring out of t-shirt with my friend Megan, so look for that post later this week. 


A

No comments:

Post a Comment