Friday, December 30, 2011

T-Shirt Ring

My friend Megan came over today to craft. Her one request was something that didn't involve any sewing, so I found this ring on Pinterest that required no sewing. This craft only requires a piece of felt, an old t-shirt (or new), a toothpick and a glue gun. Anna generously donated a t-shirt to the cause if I agreed to make her a ring too, so I purchased nothing for this craft.


The tutorial is a little vague with instructions so I was a little worried about it not turning out, but it is a very 'forgiving' craft. A little estimation and you are good to go! First we cut out a circle of felt to use as the base for the ring. Then cut out a bunch of circles of the t-shirt in about the same size as the felt circle. We chose to use a black t-shirt for this because it is versatile and can go with anything. :)








Next you take your glue gun, properly bunch it up over the toothpick, add a drop of glue and glue it to the felt. Megan really got into the technique of bunching the fabric properly. I love a good glue gun, but the glue gets everywhere.





Megan demonstrating the proper bunching technique!








After sufficiently gluing t-shirt circles to the felt, let it dry for about a minute, and then trim it up. I was a little nervous about trimming it, but it was no big deal. Also, it is so easy to make that if you mess up you can just start again.








Use a piece of the hem to make your 'ring'. I made mine slightly tighter than it needed to be as I figured it would stretch out over time.






Finally, glue the trimmed flower to the ring and you are finished. Megan and I made 4 of these in less an hour. The ring is super comfortable to wear, I consider it the yoga pants of rings.








I am considering what crafts to attempt next week, if you have requests that you would like me to try feel free to leave a comment. I think I may attempt some more sewing next week, but we will see what the week brings.


A

No comments:

Post a Comment