Monday, March 5, 2012

The Bow Pillow

Yesterday, I successfully made the Bow Pillow. Not to say there weren't disasters. 


The first disaster occurred when I discovered there was no tutorial to make the pillow. It was just a picture of a pillow sold on Etsy.com. Not super helpful. 


I guessed on the amount of fabric, created my own pattern out of tissue paper, and somehow came out with a pillow that looks pretty close to the original. :) 



My tissue paper creation!

Trying to figure out how many pieces I needed to cut out...


The only huge disaster was trying to sew the bottom of the pillow shut. First I didn't leave a big enough opening to put the pillow inside the pillow cover and I ripped a hole in my fabric (not pleased). I spent 10 minutes ripping out half of my sewing to get the pillow inside the cover, and then decided that I was not sewing the entire bottom of the pillow cover shut by hand. I opted for machine sewing, which could have been good, but it was a disaster. I needed about 6 hands to hold the fabric in place, feed it through the machine, etc. Eventually after about 6 tries and a mom-intervention, we got the pillow cover sewed shut and it looks pretty good! 
This may come as a shock, but you cannot shove a 16" pillow through a 3" opening. 

The terrible stitching on the bottom of the pillow, this was try number 3. 

The finished product!
I am going to post a tutorial (a first for craftingdisaster) tomorrow or Wednesday. Warning...I have never had sewing lessons, so my tutorial may not make any sense to you, but give it a whirl! 


A

1 comment: