Thursday, March 28, 2013

House Series: Bathroom Project Part 5

The previous post is about a week late....life got a little busy. So where to begin on the updates on the bathroom. Exactly 30 days after we started this project we have a functioning shower, toilet, and sink! But lets not get ahead of ourselves the last week has been ridiculous.

So we finished mudding, taping, sanding and finally started painting. Let's just say having a small bathroom is somewhat of a blessing because we can paint the whole room in 30 minutes!  So last Thursday Ben and I painted the first coat of paint, went out to dinner, came home and painted a second coat. I was feeling good about our progress but we still had a ton to do.

On Friday night I worked and Ben kept texting updates of what was happening at the house. He installed both the toilet and the vanity/sink. Score! I felt like we were in the home stretch....wrong- we hit major speed bumps after this.

1. We went to install the sink we had bought for the vanity but the hot/cold water hook ups on the sink wouldn't fit through the holes on the vanity. Fail. We discovered this after Home Depot and Menards were closed for the night so that delayed us. I put my trust in Ben to pick out a new sink on his own that would fit the vanity. Luckily we have spent way too much time in the faucet aisles so he easily picked out our second choice faucet and installed it, no problem.

2. LOWES!! Oh yes, in the continued awesome customer service experience that Lowe's provides, I called on Monday for an update on our still missing tub faucet/shower head. Talking to customer service was PAINFUL!
Me: I am looking for an update on our order status.
Lowe's awesome customer service: It is on back-order.
Me: Any idea of when it will ship?
Lowe's awesome customer service: No.
Me: I would like to cancel the order then.
Lowe's awesome customer service: Well Ma'am, I could first connect you with our sales team to see if they can locate the product at a store near you.
Me: (First thought why would a store near me have it, and it hasn't shipped to me) No, I have already had them search the stores in MN and they don't have it in stock.
Lowe's awesome customer service: Well they could search all the US stores and have it shipped to you.
Me: Please explain to me why it would be at a store in the US, but has not shipped to me in 20 days.
Lowe's awesome customer service: I don't know.
Me: Cancel my order. I am going to the Home Depot or Menards and going to buy one off the shelf.
Lowe's awesome customer service: Ma'am are your sure you don't want me to connect you with the sales team?
Me: Yes, I have given you 21 days to get me the product and you haven't. Cancel my order.
Lowe's awesome customer service: I need to figure out how to cancel the order.
Me: Ok. (In my head....how does someone who works for customer service not know how to cancel an order?!?!?!?!?)

After being on hold for 7 minutes my order was finally cancelled. I seriously do not know how this store stays in business. They definitely need a re-vamp of their online ordering process and they need to retrain their customer service people.

3. Shower handle, tub faucet, etc.: Ben and I discovered that the shower handle we ended up buying at Menards didn't fit our existing plumbing. I started freaking out because it looked like our only option was to take out tile....which was NOT happening. Instead after a major freak out by both Ben and myself, the two crabbiest people you have ever met went back to Menards to see if we could find one to fit our existing plumbing.

The customer service guy at Menards asked me how my day was going while I was returning the faucet set that didn't fit.....bad idea...but at least I had the decency to sensor myself and only say "oh, I am on day 30 of a bathroom remodel so...I am exhausted". His response: "Wow. 30 days? I have never heard of it taking so long". I smiled politely and walked away. :)

Ben went straight to plumbing to see what he could find and we discovered that there was 1 Delta faucet that we thought might fit the plumbing. We bought it. I love the we agonized over faucet sets for 2 weeks, ordered one from Lowes, cancelled the order, picked out a new one, returned that and bought a new one after looking at it for 10 seconds.

Last night Ben installed it. We did have to chip out a teeny corner of the tile so we could screw in the shower handle plate thing. We had to make a few minor modifications and be a little creative in installation but it is functional and I will even go as far to say as it looks nice.

We rewarded ourselves with hot fudge shakes....this has become a bad habit.

And here are some pictures....

Our new toilet, and you can see the new floor:


The 'cubbies" with the new baskets! I am so pumped about this new storage space! 


The functioning shower (and please notice how shiny and clean the tub is)! 


So we are actually wrapping up our project. I work tonight and Ben has a list of about 15 things to get done tonight before his Mom comes to visit tomorrow. Thank goodness we have a functioning bathroom again. :)

I will post final pictures soon, once we finish all the little things.

Cheers,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment